Inventory of the Returns for Taxation Purposes, 1692 - 1845
Description of the Subordinate Components
Stellenbosch (and Drakenstein)
Stellenbosch and Drakenstein
Undated. Date determined by approximation.
Includes fragments of returns for 1703 and 1704 as well as a
fe letters received by the magistrate about personal possessions.
A return c.1714 is bound in J188.
A return c.1715 is bound in J197.
The return for 1719 is missing.
The last pages of the return for Stellenbosch are missing.
The return for 1727 is bound in J282.
The return for 1728 is bound incorrectly.
Pages of the return for 1731 are bound incorrectly.
Includes an assessment list, 1736.
These lists are present in the returns for Stellenbosch and
Drakenstein until approximately 1798 and indicate moneys received. Up to about
1765 the lists are alphabetical according to first name and from around about
1766 alphabetical according to surname. The lists mostly serve as an index to
the return, since the relevant folio number in the return is indicated next to
the name of the person. As far as could be established the assessment lists do
not appear after 1798. The returns after 1798 do not all provide the amounts of
moneys received. In the returns which do contain this information, such is
indicated in the column Opgaafgelde (Return moneys). As is described in further
remarks and footnotes, taxes were also levied for special services, e.g. for
the protection of the Drostdy (Residency), the maintenance of roads, etc.
Includes an assessment list, 1735.
Includes a list of persons who still have to pay sheep and
cattle money as well as lion and leopard money for 1737.
Includes an extract with respect to Burgher effects, 1739 as
well as a few lists of persons who have yet to pay taxes.
- General Muster Roll, 1740: Lists of Dragoons and
- Assessment list, 1740.
General Muster Rolls for the period 1740 - 1760 are missing in
the archives of the Magistrate, Stellenbosch
The first 7 pages of the return for 1745 1743 are bound at the
end of the return.
- Summary of totals for 1743 - 1745. General Muster Rolls
of Companies of Stellenbosch and Drakenstein, 1744, 1745, 1746, 1748. (The
companies are the various military divisions of Dragoons, Infantry and common
- Assessment list, 1747.
- A list of persons who have yet to take the burgher
- General Returns of Roads, Ways and Drifts, 1749.
- General Muster Rolls of Companies, 1749, 1750, 1751.
- Assessment lists, 1750, 1751.
- Minutes of meetings of Magistrate and Heemrade for
certain dates in the period 20.5.1748 - 11.1.1751 and dealing with claims.
Includes declarations and diverse returns for medical services, etc.
- Returns of such persons living in the Cape District and
the taxes they have to pay, for the year 1751, for their cattle and sheep in
stockposts in Stellenbosch and Drakenstein.
- Returns of out - standing sheep and cattle moneys, 1751.
- Lists of such persons resident in the districts of
Stellenbosch and Drakenstein owning cattle in the district of Swellendam and
here declared for the year 1751.
- Cattle falling under the district of Swellendam, 1751.
- Index to return for 1751 (Besides the assessment lists
which usually serve as index, many returns contain indexes which only provide
persons' names and the relevant folio number in the return.)
1752; 1754 - 1756; c. 1715
- List of persons 1755 who had not yet 1756 taken the
burgher oath on 31.10.1753 .
- General Muster Rolls of Compagnies, 1752, 1743, 1754,
- Assessment lists, 1755 and undated.
The returns for 1754 and 1756 are not in order and are bound
Assessment list, Drakenstein, 1753 is bound in J214.
- General Muster Roll of Companies, 1757.
- Assessment lists, 1757, 1758.
- List of persons who on 31.10.1758 have to take the
- Assessment lists, 1759, 1760.
- General Muster Rolls of Companies, 1759, 1760.
- Returns of such persons residing in the Cape District
for their cattle and sheep..., 1757.
- Returns of out - standing sheep and cattle moneys, 1757.
- Name list of such persons who in time of enemy attack
must march from the districts of Stellenbosch and Drakenstein, except the four
Companies of Dragoons, towards the Cape, 1760. (Similar lists appear in other
returns under the description 'General Muster Rolls'.)
- List of persons who from the Infantry Company must
proceed towards the Cape, 1760.
- Such persons with the exception of Field - Corporals who
by general summons must remain at home to protect the interior, 1760.
- Assessment lists, 1761, 1762, 1763.
- List of such persons resident in the district of
Stellenbosch and Drakenstein owning cattle in the district of Swellendam and
here declared, 1762.
- Assessment list of people of outside districts, c.1763
- Assessment list of slaves of the Cape, c.1763.
- General Muster Roll of Companies, 1761, 1762.
- Returns of outstan - ding sheep and cattle moneys, 1762.
- General Treasury Account of Drakenstein, 1764.
- Assessment lists, 1764, 1765.
- Indexes, 1764, 1765.
- Index, Stellenbosch, 1796.
- Indexes, 1766, 1767, 1768.
- Assessment lists, 1768. (These assessment lists mention
that the Magistrate and Heemrade of Stellenbosch obtained permission with a
decision of the Council of Policy dated 8.11.1768 to furnish a certain amount
of money for the highly necessary and important task of protecting the village
and mainly the local Drostdy.)
- General Returns of Roads, Ways and Drifts, 1768
- Returns of out - standing sheep and cattle as well as
lion and leopard money, 1768.
- Indexes and Assessment lists, 1769, 1770.
- General Muster Rolls of Companies, 1770.
- General Treasury Accounts with a few quotations, 1770 - 1779.
- General Muster Rolls of Companies, 1773.
- List of livestock, Stellenbosch, 1773.
- Indexes and Assessment lists, 1773, 1774. (Includes
assessment lists of inhabitants and company officials relating to the
construction of a road between the Cape and Rondebosch, 1773. Also contains
instructions to the messenger responsible for the collection of taxes, which
refer to the form which receipts must take as well as a copy of a letter
addressed to the Council of Policy on how the road was to be constructed.)
- Assessment lists, 1775, 1776.
- Index, 1775.
- General Muster Rolls of Companies, 1775, 1776.
- List of livestock, Stellenbosch, 1776.
- Indexes and Assessment lists, 1777, 1778.
- General Muster Rolls of Companies, 1777.
- Notices and Warnings 1700, 1708, 1717 and undated.
- List of livestock, Stellenbosch, 1777.
- List of Field - Corporals and Field - Cornets, 1814 - 1817.
- General Returns of Roads and Ways, 1775 - 1784.
- Indexes, 1779
- List of livestock, Stellenbosch, 1779.
- List of arrear sheep and cattle money, 1779 - 1783.
- List of persons in arrears with their contributions to
the construction of a road between the Cape, Rondebosch and Salt River,
- Assessment list, (fragment) 1779.
- List of persons summoned for road tax, 1777.
- List of persons who will assist with the filling of
ditches and the levelling of slopes around the Drostdy, 1779.
- List of persons who contributed towards the purchase
of a night - light for the guard at the "Pulver" magazine.
- List of persons who assisted with and contributed
towards the reparation of the Eerste River, 1790, 1791.
- Assessment lists and indexes, 1780.
- General Treasury Accounts, 1780 - 1792.
- General State and Constitution, 1780 - 1792.
- List of livestock, 1780.
A return for Stellenbosch, 1781 is bound in J220
- Indexes and Assessment lists, 1781, 1782. (The indexes
and assessment lists are probably those for 1781 and do not pertain to the
return in J220.)
- Lists of residents of Stellenbosch and Drakenstein,
Hottentots - Holland, Roodesand and Twenty - Four Rivers who have to contri - bute
to the billeting of the citizen force in Cape Town during the present
- List of livestock, Stellenbosch, 1782.
A return c.1783 is bound in J186
- Indexes and Assessment lists, 1783, 1784.
- Assessment list, Drakenstein, 1783.
- General Muster Rolls, 1787 1785.
- Indexes, 1785, 1786, 1787.
- Assessment list, 1787.
- List of livestock, 1787.
- Lists of livestock, 1788, 1789.
- General Muster Rolls, 1788, 1789.
- Indexes, 1788, 1789.
- General Muster Rolls, 1790.
- Summaries of summons, c.1779.
- List of livestock, 1790.
- Indexes and Assessment lists, 1790.
- Lists of livestock, 1792, 1793.
- Indexes, 1792, 1793.
- Assessment lists, 1793.
- List of outstanding sheep and cattle money, 1785 - 1792.
J443 also contains name lists, 1790, 1793, 1794.
Final return (1794) and Draft return (1794, 1795).
- Indexes and Assessment lists, 1794, 1795.
- Specific return of Honourable Company
Servants....employed locally and domiciled, 1794, 1795.
- List of livestock, 1795.
- Returns of names under stoppage of salary, detained
ashore and others who remained at this place, 1797.
- Index, Drakenstein, 1796. (The index for Stellenbosch,
1796 is bound in J202.)
- Assessment lists, 1796, 1798.
- List of former Servants of the Honourable Company with
references to their present domicile and former ranks, 1798.
- Return of former ordinary Honourable Company Servants
and others who remained here with the consent of the Government, 1798.
Lists of returns of field - cornets only.
Lists compiled by the field - cornet of each ward. The
information is mostly completed on printed forms and occasionally the location
of farms is indicated.
Final and draft returns for 1803.
- Returns of salary stoppages of former Company Servants,
- Night - Watchmen's Treasury Account - also notes proving
receipt of moneys, 1802 - 1812.
- Chimney Tax Treasury Debit - also notes proving receipt
of moneys, 1808 - 1815.