Inventory of the Archives of the Evangelical Lutheran Church, Strand Street, Cape Town, 1780 - 1907

Fonds Specifications

Context

Biographical History
The Evangelical Lutheran Church, Strand Street, Cape Town is an autonomous congregation constituting one of the denominations wich comprise the United Evangelical Lutheran Church.
On 23 October 1779 the Lutherans at the Cape were permitted to hold divine service in public and the first sermon was preached on 10 December 1780 by Minister Andreas Lutgerus Kolver.
The congregation was scattered over a wide area of the Peninsula. In 1850 a place of worship was erected at Wynberg and in 1863 the church building was consecrated. Owing to lack of support this congregation did not have a long existence and in 1881 the Wynberg church was let to the Martini Congregation.
In 1852 a church was started at Stellenbosch, services being conducted by the minister of the Strand Street Church up to 1936. [1]