Provisional Inventory of the Archives of the VOC
Establishments Malabar, Coromandel, Surat and Bengal and Legal Successors (so -
called "Dutch Records")
(1647 - ) 1664 - 1825 ( - 1852)
Coromandel / Fishery Coast
The kantoor of Coromandel (more or
less present - day Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh) was managed by a Governor and
Council. Until 1690 they were seated at Pulicat. Thereafter Nagapatnam served
as the headquarters, but in 1784 Pulicat took over this position again.
Textiles were the most important trading product. Two years after the Dutch
first called at Coromandel, the earliest factory was established in 1605 at
Masulipatam with permission of the Sultan of Golkonda. A great number of
settlements followed, including Petapoli, Teganapatam, Thiruppapuliyar,
Pulicat, Golkonda, Draksharama, Sadras, Jagannathapuram and Bimlipatam.
Nagapatnam was conquered from the Portuguese in 1658. In addition to Golkonda,
the VOC maintained relations with, for instance, Thanjavur, Gingee, Arcot, the
Mughals and the Marathas. Masulipatam was lost to the French in 1750 and
Nagapatnam to the British in 1784. In the 1790's, all the remaining factories
were seized by the British. They were partly restored in 1818, with the
headquarters at Sadras, to be finally handed over in 1825.
The VOC settlements on the Fishery Coast (under the Dutch
administration stretching from Cape Comorin to Point Calimere) were managed by
the kantoor of Ceylon (currently Sri Lanka),
governed by a Governor and Council based at Colombo and Commandeurs (a kind of Governors, but with less
territorial power) at Galle and Jaffna. The highest VOC authorities on the
Fishery Coast were an Opperhoofd (chief - factor)
and Council seated at Tuticorin. Other trading posts on the coast included Cape
Comorin, Manapadu, Punneikayal and Kilakkarai. Textiles were the main
commodity. The first factory, at Kayalpatnam, was set up in 1645. In 1758 and
1759 the VOC concluded treaties with the rulers of Ramnad and Madurai
respectively. In 1796 Ceylon was surrendered to the British, but in 1818 the
settlements on the Fishery Coast were returned to the Dutch and until 1825
administered from Sadras, then headquarters of the kantoor of Coromandel.