Provisional Inventory of the Archives of the VOC Establishments Malabar, Coromandel, Surat and Bengal and Legal Successors (so - called "Dutch Records") (1647 - ) 1664 - 1825 ( - 1852)

Fonds specifications


Custodial history

Nagapatnam / Pulicat
Inv. nos. 601, 799, 924, 977, 1057, 1612 - 1621 and 1634 - 1642 (sometimes referred to as "Coromandel Records") are all that remains of the archives of the factory in Nagapatnam and its successor at Pulicat. Not counting documentation material, they roughly cover the years 1755 - 1756, 1766, 1772 - 1777 and 1818 - 1825. Their custodial history is unknown. A list (kept at Batavia) of the papers dating from the period until 1818 that were handed over to the British in 1825 by the Dutch at Sadras has been published and analysed by J. van Kan as "Lijst der oude boeken van de voormalige Nederlandsche Oost - Indische Compagnie ter kuste Coromandel / List of Records of the Dutch East India Company Settlement on the Coromandel Coast 1702 - 1795" in Verhandelingen van het Koninklijk Bataviaasch Genootschap voor Kunsten en Wetenschappen, 71 (1932). Comparing this extensive list with the very small quantity of Coromandel materials presently kept at the Tamil Nadu Archives, one may be amazed (as was Van Kan himself) how little is left of the original archives.
Anyway, the remaining Coromandel records up to inv. no. 1621 must have been transferred to Madras before c. 1900 because they are mentioned in the Press List of Ancient Dutch Records, From 1657 to 1825, compiled by the Catholic priest Rev. A.J.M. Heyligers before or around 1900. Apparently, they were merged with the Cochin archives when these were chronologically rearranged. Inv. nos. 1634 - 1642 are only listed in the List of Volumes of Dutch and Danish Records of 1916 (for more information about this work and the Press List, see the section on the Cochin archives). Apart from inv. no. 1642, this is logical because they are copies of memories van overgave (final reports by departing officials) of Coromandel Governors that were made around 1910 by Dutch archivists at Batavia for the British authorities at Madras.